Kettle’s editors come up with 5 suggestions each, every Tuesday. The aim of these suggestions is to provide a bit of inspiration to our student journalists.
If you see a suggestion here that you like the look of then please simply write it and upload it to the site.
Remember that these are only suggestions – if you want to write something totally different then please feel to do so :o)
- REVIEW: Take deep breaths. Bake off has returned. What are your thoughts so far and who do you think will win?
- LISTICLE: Best moments of your summer – now it’s sadly almost over, what were your summer highlights and why should everyone else go do them?
- OPINION/COMMENT: What are your thoughts on the growing fascination with fitness and health in the UK and all the new techniques/diets/routines that are part of it?
- TOPICAL: Is it worth getting involved in societies/clubs at uni and how on earth do you go about choosing which ones?
- REGULAR: Remember I always love receiving reviews of books, poetry, dance, art, theatre, film, TV, exhibitions, restaurants, travel etc. Anything cultural I want to hear your thoughts.
If you’ve got any questions or you’re having problems, please email me on email@example.com and please pitch me anything else you fancy writing.
- The Problems of False Allegations: In the wake of the Roxanne Pallett and Ryan Thomas drama, it is clear to see how easily false allegations ruin peoples lives. A piece on the problem of false allegations and how they could be combated so as not to discourage real victims coming forward.
- Madeline McCann Search Fund: It is one of the most well-known cases in the UK and around the world. It has recently come out that the search come to an end as money is running out. Is this the correct decision, should they get more funding? Would the money be better spent on helping to find more missing people. (Again open to multiple opinions)
- BBC’s coverage of Royal Wedding: The BBC have stated they will not cover Princess Eugenie’s wedding to Jack Brooksbank. Is it right the broadcasting company have declined even though they broadcast Prince Williams and Harrys? Or does she not deserve a wedding on the same scale? (Open to multiple opinions)
- Rohingya refugee crisis: A UN report has just been published detailing the horrors experienced by the Rohingya people. Why is this so under reported in mainstream media? What can be done to help the situation?
- South Africa legalise cannabis: It is now legal for personal use. Should the UK follow suit? Or were South Africa incorrect in their decision?
· Australian grand prix will be introducing young boys and girls who will make history as the first ever F1 Grid Kids at the 2018 grand prix race – thoughts on this?
· Tatiana Calderon announced she would continue her F1 journey with Sauber F1 team Alfa Romeo this year as a Test Driver – was this the right move for her?
· Carmen Jorda a member of the FIA’s Women in Motorsport Commission – caused controversy by saying women should strive for Formula E not F1 as it is less challenging – opinions?
· F1 season kicks off in Australia this Sunday – Can anyone stop Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes this year?
· Formula E – championship leader Jean-Éric Vergne extended his lead at the top of the driver standings with a sublime performance in Uruguay – review?
Food & Drink
- Guinness- We have just celebrated St Patrick’s day. What is your opinion of Guinness? Love it or hate it, and if so/ not why?
- Gin- What gin trends are you noticing this year and appreciating and why?
- Yogurt- What are your 3/5/7 favourite yogurts and why?
- Soup- As the weather has been chilly the last few days, many of us rely on a nice hearty bowl of soup to warm up. Have you got any recipes and if not what are your 3/5/7 favourite soups?
- As always, reviews of anything food/ drink based.
Nathan Shepherd & Gillen Reid
- Who get’s your vote for the Best Fifa Men’s Player award?
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic career profile. Just scored his 500th goal.
- Parma back in Serie A – discuss their rise back to the top of Italian football.
- Leeds top of the Championship – will they return to the Premier League?
- Champions League returns this week. Assess the groups – who are the favourites?
Any other ideas let us know! Happy to help.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Is the Microwave humanity’s greatest invention? Penicillin is good, but it can’t defrost a frozen bread roll in under a minute. The internet is a useful tool, but without microwaves we’d still be waiting 12 hours for that ready meal to defrost, before realising we didn’t have an appliance with which to cook the thawed product.
Rustler’s slogan is “What a time to be alive.” Why is now a better place than then because of Rustler’s? How has cardboard beef made your life better and more meaningful?
Top 10 extinct animals that could beat your Dad in a fight. Steller’s sea cow, the dodo and the Tyrannosaurus Rex could all feature.
Submit a cartoon/photo that satirises or ridicules something in the news recently. For example, a Kuwaiti fishmonger was recently closed for sticking googly eyes on fish to make them appear fresher. You could draw a before and after cartoon of the fish with and without googly eyes. I would suggest making the image without googly eyes as repulsive as possible.
“I’m literally a communist, ya idiot!” What is communism and could it work in Britain today?
Piers Morgan – utter bell-end or utter bell-end? Discuss.
Labour are considering a “Universal Basic Income” – What is this and how would it work?
Climate change – the world is on fire but the climate change deniers are still getting air-time. Why?
Love Island – it’s over… how are you coping without it?
Suggestions for the next week are below, if you want to grab one of these or have anything else media-related you would like to write drop me an e-mail.
The New Internationalist has a new look – is it’s stated aim of revamping its print magazine to attract younger readers achieveable?
Should media coverage of suicides stop using the term ‘committed suicide’?
The story of how one journalism student uncovered a sex for rent scandal
How is the rise of streaming and on demand video squeezing the finances of traditional broadcasters including the publicly funded BBC? What other challenges do they face?
What will US giant Comcast taking control of Sky mean for British media?
Syria: Will the Russian-brokered ceasefire in Eastern Ghouta help ease the humanitarian crisis in the rebel-held Damascus suburb?
Saudi Arabia: Is there more to the military reshuffle than meets the eye?
Jerusalem: Why have church leaders closed the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, one of Christianity’s holiest shrines? Will it have any effect on Israeli politics?
– It’s Festival season so it would be great if we could maybe compile a run down of some of the best smaller Festivals, who to look out for and what’s to love about these smaller events. I know a few events over the summer if you need any inspiration.
– As an aside to this maybe something about staying safe at these places etc?
– It’s Pride Month so I would really love something about a prolific LGBT musician. Why they influenced us/you. More and more people are speaking up so it would be great to highlight those people.
– Mental Health + Music. Music is a great healer, it would be great to talk about this, maybe what it is about it that helps people, why having a creative outlet.
– A Summer playlist would be great. This can be any genre of music but songs we should be looking out for, excited about for the summer.
-A behind the scenes feature. This can be behind the scenes of a show, the people behind the music, what is involved in releasing material.
You can Email me on firstname.lastname@example.org or my Twitter it @georgiejourno if you have any queries.
Kanye and his lost Twitter followers – What was his downfall this time? Was it his support for Trump?
Logan Paul announces his withdrawal from daily vlogs – What does this mean for the changing landscape of YouTube? More and more bloggers turning to other outlets etc.
The power of social media… exposing Tristan Thompson cheating – The world’s reaction now that True has been born (and the fact he posted a picture, the first since her birth, with no mention??)
Drop me and email if you want to write any of these, or if you have any more ideas or questions: email@example.com
- Wedding and Bridesmaid dresses for a bargain
- H & M, Misguided, Asos etc have their own wedding dresses for great prices! Show what there is and the prices, Also can include how to dress as the guest- or alternatives to wearing dresses.
- Season transition must haves
- items / fashion garments you need in your wardrobe that are easy to transition from Winter to Summer.
- Street fashion; current trends out and about
- Localise fashion, Fashion Photography ,Video /interview street people and the experience
- Androgynous; Fashion to suit anyone
- Fashion with no gender label. How it is now / how people wear this trend now /comparison of past androgynous fashion.
- Primark ‘Collections’
- Primark have been dropping themed collections – such as Toy Story, Harry Potter , Beauty and the beast. Show what there is available and perhaps what might be expected to drop next.
- Wedding and Bridesmaid dresses for a bargain
Dont hesitate to contact me with any questions at Jazbutler22@gmail.com or twitter @jazzmariee22 x
REVIEW: Emmys winners: the good, the bad, the unlucky…
OPINION: The best Big Brother moments
REVIEW: BBC’s India Season
PREVIEW: The Circle – what is this new reality show?
OPINION: With the entire 10 series of Doctor Who to watch on BBC iPlayer and Netflix, what are your 7/10/15 favourite episodes from the show revival?
Women in Sport – More controversy surrounding Serena Williams: Is it sexism? Check out this article to see both sides.
Women in the Media – Jameela Jamil gave an interview in which she discussed the patriarchal pressures she felt/feels as a young woman. Furthermore, she called out the Kardashians. Was she right for doing so? Where do we draw the line at which females we choose to empower? Check out this article…
Women in TV
- Loose Women (mentioned in the above article) – aimed at women, featuring women, but is it outdated and superficial? Opinion piece with clips and embedded tweets please!
- Sandi Toksvig has revealed to the Guardian she gets paid 40% of what Stephen Fry did for presenting QI, and that on the whole women are edited out of panel shows. Do you, as a viewer, notice a significant difference in the ratio of men and women talking on panel shows? Maybe head to Twitter to see if there is conversation surrounding this topic.
Women in Entertainment – Recurring open option: a review of a female character in film, books, plays etc, or a female celeb profile featuring examples of what you think makes them great! May it be their commitment to the feminist agenda, their empowerment of other women or otherwise, champion them!
That’s all for this week folks, give me a shout on twitter @chrlgbbs or email me firstname.lastname@example.org if you’ve any other suggestions or questions!