Kettle’s editors come up with 5 suggestions each, every Tuesday. The aim of these suggestions is to provide a bit of inspiration to our student journalists.
If you see a suggestion here that you like the look of then please simply write it and upload it to the site.
Remember that these are only suggestions – if you want to write something totally different then please feel to do so :o)
- Printed textbooks are being phased out to make way for the digital resources. This is not surprising, but why is this a good business move?
- Why business would be unstable under a Boris Johnson administration – a look into his Brexit plan.
- The textile industry – the need to look for a more sustainable way to clothe the world.
Hello writers! I know we really need a shake-up of the culture content so I’ve gone for it in this week’s suggestions:
- Best LGBTQ+ couples in fiction – I feel like there’s a lot of lists out there of just ‘best couples’ and so this one has to put the focus on diversity.
- Thoughts on the BAFTAs – could be a piece about the whole awards or a reflective piece on one point in particular.
- Game of Thrones is coming to an end so what next? A TV series that has been a huge part of many people’s lives for years is ending, so what about an article on how that feels? (I still remember my emptiness when Harry Potter ended).
- Doris Day Obituary – The celebrated actress died yesterday, so an obituary of her life www.theguardian.com/film/2019/may/13/calamity-jane-star-doris-day-dies-at-97
- Mental Health & reality TV – you have probably seen that the Jeremy Kyle show has been suspended following the death of a guest right after filming as well as 2 former Love Island contestants committing suicide. While investigations into these 2 particular shows are happening, is there wider problem with reality TV generally that is seriously harming people who go on it, or is what’s happened a tragic coincidence? Discuss.
- Listicle: How do you still have fun while revising – a list of all the other things you do during revision periods, no matter how small or normal. Could be go to the gym, cook great food, tidy, read, watch TV, visit friends. It’s nice for others to know it’s ok to take time out.
- If you’ve got any questions or you’re having problems, please email me on email@example.com and please pitch me anything else you fancy writing.
- Weekly Debate: There have been a series of extinction rebellions across the UK in an attempt to get the UK to commit to becoming zero carbon by 2025 as opposed to 2050. Do you think this is the most effective method to get people committed to tackling climate change? Or is it just alienating the common people?
- Donald Trump’s latest Twitter spat: Trump has come under fire following his latest tweets attacking congresswomen which have been described as ‘racist’. An article looking at the tweets from Trump and the women he has been attacking as well as what you think the repercussions should be.
- Pamplona Bull-run: One of the key parts of the San Fermin festival see bulls run through the city to the bull-ring where they are then killed by matadors. An article looking at whether this should end and the argument put forward by animal campaigners.
Poor old Pierre – Not really though, he’s been pretty terrible. How much longer can Gasly last at Red Bull given his current form, can he make it to the end of the season? If not, who is there to replace him?
Silverstone Preview – British GP this weekend, what can we expect? How is the future of Silverstone looking amongst rumours of British GP in London?
Redemption for Honda – Honda power won a race! Not bad for a GP2 engine. Can we expect more wins from RBR? What’s the potential of the RBR-Honda package?
Ferrari – Ferrari’s last race winner is STILL Kimi Räikkönen from COTA last year! How long are we going to have to wait for another win? The power circuits of Spa and Monza?
Best of the Rest – Midfield looking especially spicy, are Mclaren the team to beat? What on earth is wrong with the likes of Renault and Haas? Can they fix it? Also might be worth paying respects to Williams, RIP.
Food & Drink
- BAKE OFF VS BAKE OFF PROFESSIONALS: Bake Off: The Professionals has continuously been slated by critics. What is your opinion of it? Why are we so obsessed with Bake Off in general?
- FOODIE DESTINATIONS: Now that it’s holiday season, which countries have the best cuisine?
- FUSSY EATERS: How do we combat fussy eating? Is fussy eating a first world problem? What are your thoughts?
- REGULAR: I love receiving critics of restaurants/cafes/bars, be it serious or silly (think satirical reviews of chain restaurants or something to that effect). I also love hearing about cheap, easy, quick, healthy recipes students can make, so what are your top 3/5/7 breakfasts/lunches/dinners?
Nathan Shepherd & Gillen Reid
- Ajax – Analysis of their development process.
- Who is your Premier League player of the season?
- WSL Champions – Season Review
- Champions League Final – Preview
- What next for Barcelona?
Any other ideas let us know! Happy to help.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Boris Johnson vs Jeremy Hunt – does anyone really care?
- The US President is interring with UK democracy… why is there no outrage from Westminster of political commentators?
- Summer is a bit MEH so far. Where travel to for some guaranteed sunshine, on a student budget?
- How to prepare for your dream interview
- How to deal with PR teams when applying for press accreditation
- What should you do when your editor asks you to make amendments to your article?
- As a freelance writer – how to you get onto (and stay) your editor’s radar
- What you should look out for when applying for an internship
1. Tory leadership: There are 10 hopefuls officially in the running to become the next Tory leader. Who would you like to see become leader, and why? Is anyone capable of beating Boris Johnson?
2. Sudan: The crisis in Sudan doesn’t seem to be getting a lot of attention, so a write-up of what’s going on to inform our readers would be great. This can be a basic overview, looking at developments from April when Bashir was overthrown through to the transitional council today.
If you’d like any more guidance on these suggestions or have another topic you’d like to write about, please do get in touch! You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter at @beccamcauley_.
Sex & Relationships
Porn Block – This would be a really important and interesting topic for someone to cover. What is it and what are the implications? What does it mean for internet censorship? Maybe offer up some alternatives to the porn block and offer your opinion on the matter. Anything around this topic would make for an interesting article!
Reviews– There has been quite a few TV shows about the porn industry recently (mums make porn, porn laid bare), you could write a review about one of these shows.
School sex education – changes to the curriculum mean that love and relationship education is going to be compulsory for primary school children. What do you wish you learnt in school surrounding love/relationships/sex?
Online sex education – A list of the top 5 sex and relationship YouTube channels.
Online dating – Offer some advice about building the best online dating profile. What are some do’s and don’t’s?
Any over ideas feel free to drop me an email at email@example.com
Advice: How to survive the graduation slump.
Opinion: Is it worth doing a master’s after graduating from uni?
Tips: How to start a student blog.
Please let me know if you have any other ideas, suggestions or queries. I’m always happy to help! You can contact me by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Colour – history of individual colours, their significance, impact on mental health etc.
– how to incorporate more colour into your style
– colour trends for 2019
Eco fashion – brands/stores that are doing good things for the environment
– easy swaps to make a difference to your environmental impact
– features/interviews with innovative designers/brands/stores
– how to go green on the high street and on a budget
Style Play – what’s your happy outfit? Which pieces in your wardrobe make you feel good?
– How to play with fashion eg. 1 everyday piece done in 5 playful ways
– dress like your inner child – recreate the outfit you loved as a kid
Capsule wardrobe how-to
Is activism the latest trend? – The rise of activist fashion, particularly for women – slogan tees, clothing that places you in a tribe, declares your politics etc.
How our Insta culture made MUAs into icons – the effect of our visual culture on the careers of make up artists and stylists.
Russell T Davies’ Years and Years – review – a far-fetched indulgent look at an impossible society? Or a very real warning on where we’re headed?
Orange Is The New Black – preview
Killing Eve season 2 – review – how is the tale of cat and mouse playing out between Eve and Villanelle?
- Women in TV: Derry Girls series 2 airs on Channel 4 this evening. Who’s your favourite of the 4 main girls? What about the creator (Lisa McGee) – maybe a little profile on her? How has the show explored the concept of femininity? How about girls only schools – did any of you go to one & if so, what are your opinions on it? The possibilities for an article based around the show are endless!
- International women’s day is THIS FRIDAY!! What’s changed in the world of women since last year? How are you celebrating? What would you like to see in the next year?
- Women’s only sections in gyms – should all gyms have these?
- Whilst perusing on Kickstarter last night I came across this period game. I think it’s great – what do you think? Is this the way forward to normalise periods? What else can we do? (note: a period emoji is coming to us soon, but it got some criticism)
- Films/TV shows with strong female leads to watch this month – listicle of 3/5/10 recommendations.