Kettle’s editors come up with 5 suggestions each, every Tuesday. The aim of these suggestions is to provide a bit of inspiration to our student journalists.
If you see a suggestion here that you like the look of then please simply write it and upload it to the site.
Remember that these are only suggestions – if you want to write something totally different then please feel to do so :o)
- What is happening with Debenhams? Stores across the country are closing down – what is the plan?
- Your opinion: on how much was raised for Notre Dame in such a short space of time by wealthy billionaires.
- The fresh round of US and China talks – are we finally coming closer to resolving the damaging trade dispute?
- How has Brexit impacted where we are travelling this summer?
- Your choice. Anything you have read in the news or have an opinion on.
Drop me a message if you need any help – on FB or A.Takk@warwick.ac.uk
Hello writers! I know we really need a shake-up of the culture content so I’ve gone for it in this week’s suggestions:
- Best LGBTQ+ couples in fiction – I feel like there’s a lot of lists out there of just ‘best couples’ and so this one has to put the focus on diversity.
- Thoughts on the BAFTAs – could be a piece about the whole awards or a reflective piece on one point in particular.
- Game of Thrones is coming to an end so what next? A TV series that has been a huge part of many people’s lives for years is ending, so what about an article on how that feels? (I still remember my emptiness when Harry Potter ended).
- Doris Day Obituary – The celebrated actress died yesterday, so an obituary of her life www.theguardian.com/film/2019/may/13/calamity-jane-star-doris-day-dies-at-97
- Mental Health & reality TV – you have probably seen that the Jeremy Kyle show has been suspended following the death of a guest right after filming as well as 2 former Love Island contestants committing suicide. While investigations into these 2 particular shows are happening, is there wider problem with reality TV generally that is seriously harming people who go on it, or is what’s happened a tragic coincidence? Discuss.
- Listicle: How do you still have fun while revising – a list of all the other things you do during revision periods, no matter how small or normal. Could be go to the gym, cook great food, tidy, read, watch TV, visit friends. It’s nice for others to know it’s ok to take time out.
- If you’ve got any questions or you’re having problems, please email me on firstname.lastname@example.org and please pitch me anything else you fancy writing.
- The US and the rise in Abortion restrictions: Recently, there has been a rise in abortion restrictions in the US which had led to a massive public outcry as there are fears it will only lead to a rise in unsafe illegal abortions. An article looking at the different legislation that is implemented as well as the public reaction to this.
- Eurovision: The final of the biggest music competition took place on Saturday in Israel with the Netherlands winning. The United Kingdom, however, had less success coming in, in the last place. With the entry from Iceland holding a Palestine flag and the UK coming in last, is the Eurovision song contest inherently political?
- European Elections: The elections for the European Parliament are taking place this week on Thursday. An article looking at the expected outcome of this vote and whether it is necessary for the UK to take part when we are supposed to leave the European Union in October.
- Greta Thunberg: An article looking at the sixteen-year-old activist who has recently visited the House of Commons and addressed the European Parliament. Is she effective in getting politicians to listen about climate change?
- Your choice! Is there an issue you have a strong opinion on or something you don’t think is reported on enough in the mainstream media. This is your chance to get your voice heard.
1. We’re underway! A summary of the Australian GP as it happened would be great.
2. Redemption for Bottas! How does this change the outlook of his season? Can he take the fight to Lewis for the WDC? Are Mercedes just going to walk the title?
3. New Kids on the Block, How did Norris, Albon and Russell fare in Melbourne, how do you rate their first starts in F1? Expectations for the rest of the season?
4. Red Bull Honda, first podium since 2008, are Red Bull onto a winner with a 3rd place in their first race? Can we expect them to carry this performance onto the more power intensive Bahrain in two weeks?
5. Extra point for the fastest lap: How did it work out in Melbourne, exciting? or a gimmick? Plenty of drivers seemed keen to get their hands on it.
Bonus: Why are Williams so terrible, will they even score a point this season?
Food & Drink
- FOOD POVERTY: In this article, Charlotte Church argues that food poverty contributes to obesity, as struggling families opt for cheaper, unhealthier dishes. How can impoverished families eat healthily on a budget?
- FESTIVALS: Summer is filled to the brim with all sorts of music festivals, so what are your top tips for eating healthily and cheaply, when food stalls around venues tend to be extortionate?
- THIS SUMMER’S DRINKS: What alcoholic/non-alcoholic drinks should we be looking out for this summer?
- EDUCATION: Did you have Food Tech/Home Economics lessons at school? How can these facilities be improved/broadened to teach and encourage more children to cook and live healthier lifestyles when they reach adulthood?
- WORK: How has an increasingly workaholic nature in today’s society changed how we eat? How can we make time for both a healthy lifestyle and a job?
- REGULAR: I love receiving critics of restaurants/cafes/bars, be it serious or silly (think satirical reviews of chain restaurants or something to that effect). I also love hearing about cheap, easy, quick, healthy recipes students can make, so what are your top 3/5/7 breakfasts/lunches/dinners?
Nathan Shepherd & Gillen Reid
- Ajax – Analysis of their development process.
- Who is your Premier League player of the season?
- WSL Champions – Season Review
- Champions League Final – Preview
- What next for Barcelona?
Any other ideas let us know! Happy to help.
Contact: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
In early September, Lil Pump immortalised the words “You’re such [an effing] ho, I love it,” in the song I Love It featuring Kanye West. What are your favourite Lil Pump lyrics and how have they changed your life?
A supermarket tunnel in Bude (Cornwall) recently topped TripAdvisor’s list of attractions in the seaside resort town. What tourist attractions does your small, slightly uninteresting hometown boast?
Create a list of Del Boy Business Practices from across the globe.
- A Kuwaiti fishmonger sticks googly eyes on fish to make them appear more fresh.
- A zoo in Egypt paints stripes on donkey to disguise as zebra.
Top 10 extinct animals that could beat your Dad in a fight. Steller’s sea cow, the dodo and the Tyrannosaurus Rex could all feature.
Submit a cartoon/photo that satirises or ridicules something in the news recently.
Violence in politics. Is political talk becoming more violent/aggressive? Do politicians and political commentators have a duty to keep things calm?
Jeremy Corbyn, the leader of HM opposition, was punched in the head on Sunday yet there has been very little reporting of the incident by the media. Would there be similar quiet if it have been Teresa may who had been punched? What message does this give to those thinking of future attacks?
Gang related crime. Akala puts some perspective on the situation. Should we be worried right now?
Who is lying about the link between knife crime and police number – Teresa May of Cressida Dick? One of them is lying.
The 5 best Twitter accounts right now.
- How to prepare for your dream interview
- How to deal with PR teams when applying for press accreditation
- What should you do when your editor asks you to make amendments to your article?
- As a freelance writer – how to you get onto (and stay) your editor’s radar
- What you should look out for when applying for an internship
Suggestions for the next week are below, if you want to grab one of these or have anything else media-related you would like to write drop me an e-mail.
Telegraph has launched a women’s sport section – should other papers follow suit?
Sun has launched a new Mental Health Campaign
George Osborne has said he doesn’t believe newspapers can influence referenda or elections and that public money shouldn’t be used to prop up newspapers
A look at the BBC’s Crossing Divides Project
– Mental Health + Music. Music is a great healer, it would be great to talk about this, maybe what it is about it that helps people, why having a creative outlet.
-I would really like a feature talking about musicians we should be looking out for this year. Maybe a top 5 to watch list.
– I think we should be shining the spotlight on the underdog. There are so many amazing artists out there, we should be sharing the love.
-A behind the scenes feature. This can be behind the scenes of a show, the people behind the music, what is involved in releasing material.
You can Email me on email@example.com or my Twitter it @georgiejourno if you have any queries.
Suggestions week beginning 22nd April:
1. Election time! Local elections are just around the corner on May 2nd, and there’s every chance Britain will be taking part in EU elections on May 23rd. Local: Why is turnout for local elections so rubbish? Does the demise of local journalism have a role to play in this – the electorate aren’t as informed about local events as they used to be?
EU: Some opinions on the parties/candidates standing, particularly Farage’s Brexit party (with Ann Widdecombe a candidate) and Change UK (with Rachel Johnson a candidate). Could this be a proxy for a second referendum?
2. Sri Lanka. With ISIS claiming responsibility for the deadly terror attack on Easter Sunday, does this put ISIS firmly back on the world stage? Had they ever left? Does this demonstrate the power and influence they still wield after the end of their so-called caliphate, and what does the fact it took them two days to claim responsibility suggest (if anything)?
3. Climate change. It’s vying with Brexit for the top spot on the political agenda thanks to Greta Thunberg and Extinction Rebellion. What changes/laws should the government implement? We clearly need to think big – aviation, industry etc. How much can using paper straws and reusable coffee cups really make a difference in the grand scheme of things?
If you’d like any more guidance on these suggestions or have another topic you’d like to write about, please do get in touch! You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @beccamcauley_. Have a great week!
Sex & Relationships
Porn Block – This would be a really important and interesting topic for someone to cover. What is it and what are the implications? What does it mean for internet censorship? Maybe offer up some alternatives to the porn block and offer your opinion on the matter. Anything around this topic would make for an interesting article!
Reviews– There has been quite a few TV shows about the porn industry recently (mums make porn, porn laid bare), you could write a review about one of these shows.
School sex education – changes to the curriculum mean that love and relationship education is going to be compulsory for primary school children. What do you wish you learnt in school surrounding love/relationships/sex?
Online sex education – A list of the top 5 sex and relationship YouTube channels.
Online dating – Offer some advice about building the best online dating profile. What are some do’s and don’t’s?
Any over ideas feel free to drop me an email at email@example.com
Tips: 5 tech tips every uni student should know
List: 5 things I learned after uni
Tips: How to make the most of your last few weeks at uni
Advice: Interviews! Whether you’re preparing for a university interview or for a new job interview, what should you expect?
Your Uni: What uni do you go to? Why did you choose it? Do you have any funny anecdotes? I would love to hear about your own personal thoughts and experiences. You may help others who are deciding on what uni to go to.
Please let me know if you have any other ideas, suggestions or queries. I’m always happy to help! You can contact me by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Christmas fashion
ANYTHING TO DO WITH FASHION AND CHRISTMAS!!!
- Winter work wear
How to look stylish for work in the winter- utilise accessories to keep warm/ wear statement coats and block print/ patterns.
- Emerging designers
Find and research new and upcoming designers- could be locally or from around the world, if local perhaps interview them and help get their presence known!
- Street fashion; current trends out and about
Localise fashion, Fashion Photography ,Video /interview street people and the experience
- Androgynous; Fashion to suit anyone
Fashion with no gender label. How it is now / how people wear this trend now /comparison of past androgynous fashion.
- Primark ‘Collections’
Primark have been dropping themed collections – such as Toy Story, Harry Potter , Beauty and the beast. Show what there is available and perhaps what might be expected to drop next.
Dont hesitate to contact me with any questions at Jazbutler22@gmail.com or twitter @jazzmariee22 x
Black Mirror: teasers for season 5 have been released – what do they promise?
Poverty porn: what is the effect of these types of shows (think Can’t Pay? We’ll Take It Away; Benefits Street). Will anything change now that the Jeremy Kyle Show has been cancelled indefinitely?
Game of Thrones: with that rogue coffee cup and questionable character arcs, has the fantasy series finally jumped the shark?
BAFTAs: the deserved winners, the robbed losers
RuPaul’s Drag Race: what can we expect from the UK series?
- Women in TV: Derry Girls series 2 airs on Channel 4 this evening. Who’s your favourite of the 4 main girls? What about the creator (Lisa McGee) – maybe a little profile on her? How has the show explored the concept of femininity? How about girls only schools – did any of you go to one & if so, what are your opinions on it? The possibilities for an article based around the show are endless!
- International women’s day is THIS FRIDAY!! What’s changed in the world of women since last year? How are you celebrating? What would you like to see in the next year?
- Women’s only sections in gyms – should all gyms have these?
- Whilst perusing on Kickstarter last night I came across this period game. I think it’s great – what do you think? Is this the way forward to normalise periods? What else can we do? (note: a period emoji is coming to us soon, but it got some criticism)
- Films/TV shows with strong female leads to watch this month – listicle of 3/5/10 recommendations.