Kettle’s editors come up with 5 suggestions each, every Tuesday. The aim of these suggestions is to provide a bit of inspiration to our student journalists.
If you see a suggestion here that you like the look of then please simply write it and upload it to the site.
Remember that these are only suggestions – if you want to write something totally different then please feel to do so :o)
- With Murray retiring, how do you think he will use this opportunity to leverage his brand name? He has a niche personality but big companies will be after him.
- The term ‘work wife’ has become quite popular, now we have a term: ‘work spouse.’ Having one can result in happier employees’, thus greater productivity in companies.
- Tesco, Sky and Coca-Cola all urge Scotland to renew its position as a ‘climate leader’ by signing a joint statement. Will Scotland oblige?
- Volkswagen will invest $800m to build new electric vehicle in U.S and has scheduled a meeting with Ford to forge a global alliance.
- Anything that has captured your attention!
Please just email A.Takk@warwick.ac.uk if you need assistance.
- New Year’s Resolutions: Good practice or pointless?
- Best of Netflix right now
- News: Kevin Spacey’s court trial begins https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/jan/07/kevin-spacey-indecent-assault-charge-nantucket-court
- Obituary: remembering author John Burningham
- Listicle: The cultural hobbies you could try out in 2019
- REGULAR: Remember I always love receiving reviews of books, poetry, dance, art, theatre, film, TV, exhibitions, restaurants, travel etc. Anything cultural I want to hear your thoughts.
If you’ve got any questions or you’re having problems, please email me on email@example.com and please pitch me anything else you fancy writing.
- Weekly debate: Some people argue people should stop voting after they turn a certain age, as they will not be around to live out the consequences of their vote. Other people believe these ‘grey voters’ are still entitled to their vote. What do you think?
- D-Day for Brexit: It’s everyone favourite topic, but today is a really important day when MPs will vote on the Brexit deal. An article looking at what the expected outcome is, what the outcome actually was and what it will mean for the future of the country.
- Cyntoia Brown’s release: Afer being given a life sentence for murdering a man in alleged self-defence, Cyntoia Brown is set to be released in August. An article looking at the campaign to get her released, and the details of her case including public and celebrity support.
- Gillette’s new ad: Their latest advert sees men intervening to stop fights and cat-calling. It is aimed to look at toxic masculinity but some people have argued it is insulting. An article on what the advert is and what the responses have been and what your own opinion is of the advert.
- Your choice! Is there an issue you have a strong opinion on or something you don’t think is reported on enough in the mainstream media. This is your chance to get your voice heard.
Nathan Shepherd & Gillen Reid
- Callum Hudson-Odoi – Should he stay or leave Chelsea?
- Diving in Football – Theories on what could be done?
- European Football previews/reviews.
- January Transfer Window – who are the ones to watch?
- Can Jermain Defoe make an impact at Rangers?
Any other ideas let us know! Happy to help.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
In early September, Lil Pump immortalised the words “You’re such [an effing] ho, I love it,” in the song I Love It featuring Kanye West. What are your favourite Lil Pump lyrics and how have they changed your life?
A supermarket tunnel in Bude (Cornwall) recently topped TripAdvisor’s list of attractions in the seaside resort town. What tourist attractions does your small, slightly uninteresting hometown boast?
Create a list of Del Boy Business Practices from across the globe.
- A Kuwaiti fishmonger sticks googly eyes on fish to make them appear more fresh.
- A zoo in Egypt paints stripes on donkey to disguise as zebra.
Top 10 extinct animals that could beat your Dad in a fight. Steller’s sea cow, the dodo and the Tyrannosaurus Rex could all feature.
Submit a cartoon/photo that satirises or ridicules something in the news recently.
BREXIT – any idea what the actual fuck is going on…. anyone?
Wilder vs Fury – probably won’t be a classic but it’s bound to be entertaining. Which of these two men do you think will win the bout and why?
Christmas shopping advice – the dos and don’ts of Christmas shopping
The Christmas party – it’s awful but you have to go… what is the best way to survive this ordeal.
Cheese on toast vs beans on toast. Which goes better and why?
Suggestions for the next week are below, if you want to grab one of these or have anything else media-related you would like to write drop me an e-mail.
The New Internationalist has a new look – is it’s stated aim of revamping its print magazine to attract younger readers achieveable?
Should media coverage of suicides stop using the term ‘committed suicide’?
The story of how one journalism student uncovered a sex for rent scandal
How is the rise of streaming and on demand video squeezing the finances of traditional broadcasters including the publicly funded BBC? What other challenges do they face?
What will US giant Comcast taking control of Sky mean for British media?
– Mental Health + Music. Music is a great healer, it would be great to talk about this, maybe what it is about it that helps people, why having a creative outlet.
-I would really like a feature talking about musicians we should be looking out for this year. Maybe a top 5 to watch list.
– I think we should be shining the spotlight on the underdog. There are so many amazing artists out there, we should be sharing the love.
-A behind the scenes feature. This can be behind the scenes of a show, the people behind the music, what is involved in releasing material.
You can Email me on firstname.lastname@example.org or my Twitter it @georgiejourno if you have any queries.
Suggestions week beginning 14th January:
1. Brexit: What on earth happens now? 3/5/7 things we can expect from the next few weeks/months/in the lead up to March 29th.
2. Democratic Republic of Congo: The FT has data disputing the ‘official’ results of the DRC election. What does this mean for the country and their supposed new step into democracy?
3. US withdrawal from Syria: The US has started removing equipment from Syria but soldiers remain in post for now. Are the US making the right decision by withdrawing, and what could be the consequences?
4. Nairobi: There’s been a suspected terrorist attack in Nairobi. Do these attacks receive the media coverage they need in the West? Al-Shabaab have claimed responsibility so could do a fact-file on who they are, who their targets have been and their links with other terrorist groups in the area.
5. US Shutdown: This is now the longest-running government shutdown, but what are its implications? Trump ordered McDonald’s and other fast food for a visiting football team because the shutdown meant the catering staff wasn’t available. Who’s to blame here, Democrats or Republicans, or Trump personally?
If you’d like any more guidance on these suggestions or have another topic you’d like to write about, get in touch! You can reach me at email@example.com or on Twitter @beccamcauley_. Have a great week!
List: What are your New Year resolutions or goals as a student?
Opinion: Should universities offer more free trips to students? I don’t know about your uni, but mine has only just started to introduce trips into my course, do you think they are useful?
Advice: How can I stay more organised at University?
Opinion: The dreaded January exams and coursework season has arrived! Do you think the way you’re assessed is fair? Do you mostly do exams, or mostly coursework? Do you think there should be other types of assessment?
Your Uni: What uni do you go to? Why did you choose it? Do you have any funny anecdotes? I would love to hear about your own personal thoughts and experiences. You may help others who are deciding on what uni to go to.
Please let me know if you have any other ideas, suggestions or queries. I’m always happy to help! You can contact me by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Christmas fashion
ANYTHING TO DO WITH FASHION AND CHRISTMAS!!!
- Winter work wear
How to look stylish for work in the winter- utilise accessories to keep warm/ wear statement coats and block print/ patterns.
- Emerging designers
Find and research new and upcoming designers- could be locally or from around the world, if local perhaps interview them and help get their presence known!
- Street fashion; current trends out and about
Localise fashion, Fashion Photography ,Video /interview street people and the experience
- Androgynous; Fashion to suit anyone
Fashion with no gender label. How it is now / how people wear this trend now /comparison of past androgynous fashion.
- Primark ‘Collections’
Primark have been dropping themed collections – such as Toy Story, Harry Potter , Beauty and the beast. Show what there is available and perhaps what might be expected to drop next.
Dont hesitate to contact me with any questions at Jazbutler22@gmail.com or twitter @jazzmariee22 x
OPINION: I’m A Celebrity controversy is rife already with rumours that some of the contestants are vegan and will be excused from partaking in the eating Bushtucker trials. Is this the case? (Sair Khan’s social media team have already clarified she is not vegan, despite tabloid reports, but what about the others?) What issues does this raise in the wider perspective of the show? Should they be eating live animals for entertainment?
REVIEW: Doctor Who – how are you finding this series? The inclusion of topical themes and subjects have stirred up much discussion; let us hear your thoughts!
PREVIEW: Game of Thrones season 8 – what do we know about the series which will air next year?
OPINION: the 5/7 best teen TV shows that every young person should watc
OPINION: Winter TV previews – what’s on the box to keep us warm on these chilly nights
Sexism: “French author, 50, says women over 50 are too old to love. Yann Moix, a prize-winning novelist, says women of same age are ‘invisible’ to him” see this article – do you think he is fetishising younger women? Why are men still commenting on women’s bodies like so/what impact does it have/what can we do to stop it? He’s faced quite a bit of backlash on Twitter so you could do a bit of searching on there!
Women in the Media: This article looks at a Japanese magazine which ranked women’s universities on how easy it is to convince students to have sex at drinking parties. Look at why this is so damaging, could give other examples (lord knows there’s plenty) of women being sexualised/male perspectives of women being fundamentally sexual in nature.
Women’s bodies – It’s Januhairy! Why is this movement empowering? What do you think of it?
Year of the Woman – How can we make 2019 the year of the woman?
That’s all for this week folks, give me a shout on twitter @chrlgbbs or email me email@example.com if you’ve any other suggestions or questions!